"In our lives, be lifted high. In our world, be lifted high. In our love, be lifted high."

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What Size is God?

Sunday night was a late night working on my budget with my dad when I came to realize I was making less money this summer than I thought and therefore I should've spent less this summer as well. I also got to thinking about only having a month to get back in shape for cross-country which makes me nervous. Very tired, stressed, worried and kinda bummed I opened my devotional (Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado) to the headline "What Size is God?" and the verse "God can do all things." (Matthew 19:26). Wow. God knew my very needs that night. To follow is the paragraph from the devotion. The last couple of days, if I start to worry or get stressed or discouraged about fiances or school or cross-country I've just tried to remind myself that God is BIG.

"Nature is God's workshop. The sky is His resume. The universe is His calling card. You want to know who God is? See what He has done. You want to know His power? Take a look at His creation. Curious about His strength? Pay a visit to His home address 1 Billion Starry Sky Avenue. He is untainted by the atmosphere of sin, unbridled by the time line of history, unhindered by the weariness of the body. What controls you doesn't control Him. What troubles You doesn't trouble Him. What fatigues You doesn't fatigue Him. Is an eagle disturbed by traffic? No, He rises above it. Is the whale perturbed by a hurricane? Of course not, he plunges beneath it. Is the lion flustered by the mouse standing directly in his way? No, he steps over it. How much more is God able to soar above, plunge beneath, and step over the troubles of the earth!"

After reading this paragraph again, I don't like exactly how it's worded because it makes it sound like God is so much better than our problems/troubles that He doesn't care about them, which is totally NOT the case, and I think the author would agree. We have a Great High Priest who sympathizes with us, who has gone through everything we ever will. We have a God who counts all our tears and hears even our groans and sighs. By trusting in Him, WE can rise above, plunge beneath, and step over the troubles of this earth and not be robbed of our joy or security in Him.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Books To Read